HoneyBook is experiencing incredible growth and we know there are many untapped areas of expansion. That’s where you come into play. We are hiring a Director of Strategy & Business Development to help us identify these key areas of expansion so we can continue with our accelerated growth.
Our users are small business owners who, most of the time, are running their business solo. With your direction, we can shape their businesses by offering them tools and resources that traditionally would have been out of reach. Partnering with our entire C-level team and reporting directly to our CFO, your expertise and vision will shape the trajectory of our users’ businesses, which will ultimately shape HoneyBook. As a people-first, values-driven startup, we know that when our users succeed, so do we. This is the first time we are recruiting for a role like this, so we aren’t kidding when we say this role will have impact from day one. Did we catch your interest? Awesome. Keep reading for the good stuff!
Here are a few of the things you will do:
Identify New Business Expansion & Strategic Partnership Areas
- Identify and analyze the feasibility and long term value of new opportunities and business models outside of our existing core business.
- Build business cases to support recommendations and prioritize opportunities that prove to be successful.
- Navigate multiple time horizons, businesses, and go-to-markets to solve for long-term value creation.
- Evaluate if new expansion opportunities and identify if they should be executed as buy/build/partner.
- For partnership opportunities, analyze the market and identify target partners to engage and negotiate partner agreements.
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to deliver on expansion opportunities.
Long-term Strategic Planning
- Partner with the leadership team to develop a long-term strategic plan for differentiation and competitive advantage.
- Create communications necessary to keep the entire company aligned with progress and if there are areas of misalignment, you know how to drive a constructive resolution.
- Plan and drive implementation of new programs, processes, and systems to improve execution and productivity across teams.
Analysis & Insights
- Be a credible and reliable C-level advisor; drive decision-making with our senior executives by preparing and delivering analyses to support those decisions.
- Gather and analyze data through quantitative and qualitative mechanisms to make decisions on critical strategic issues.
- Structure complex problems and deliver deep data-driven and competitive insights to build consensus and influence decision making at all levels.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive repository of market and competitive insights and proactively identify emerging threats or opportunities.
- Develop prioritization and investment frameworks to drive the allocation of resources.
Here is what is needed:
- 10+ years of experience in corporate or business strategy, management consulting, competitive intelligence,
- Experience working at a payments, financial services, or fintech company
- MBA and/or prior experience working in a fast-paced startup environment is a huge plus.
- Experience driving large initiatives from framing the problem, conducting research/analysis to building the business and operational plans through to driving execution to success is required.
- A strategic thinker with a passion for solving ambiguous or complex business issues.
- Strong project management and leadership skills, including influencing and directing non-direct reports.
- Intellectually curious, detail-oriented, and driven to make an impact on the business.
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced and innovative high-growth environment.
- Highly collaborative with strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Propensity to ask insightful questions, conduct thorough research, and understand both high-level strategy and ground-level tactical needs.
- Strong analytical and financial skills to work on complex business issues using data to drive insights and decision-making, with minimum supervision.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to make things successful.
The good stuff:
- Mission driven. You'll be joining more than just another startup—our members are at the heart of everything we do; in fact, we invite them to co-work in our office and collaborate with us on the product itself.
- Impact. We move quickly and encourage every employee to push the envelope. Our best ideas come from out-of-the-box-thinking and innovation; be ready to fail fast and often!
- Compensation: We offer a competitive salary + meaningful equity based on merit.
- Benefits + Perks: From wellness programs to unlimited paid time off and exceptional family leave policies, the health and happiness of our employees is foremost.
- Provisions: We give you the tools you need to get your job done and we provide a fully stocked kitchen and bar, happy hours, catered meals, and awesome company events.
The opportunity at HoneyBook is huge - our primary customers today are creative businesses that generate in aggregate $150B in revenue per year in the US. Our company, like the members we serve, thrives on creativity and risk-taking; in six years, we’ve become the biggest and the most widely recognized player in the creative entrepreneur space. To date, HoneyBook has raised $72M and is backed by investors such as Norwest Venture Partners, AngelList founder Naval Ravikant, Medium CEO Ev Williams, Bebo’s Michael Birch, and VCs such as Aleph, and Hillsven.