Are you passionate about open source, you get why it exists, why it works, and where it makes the most sense? Are you naturally curious and comfortable diving into varying codebases, getting productively lost, finding your way back out, and leaving the place better than you found it? Are you an experienced engineer who is ready for new challenges, more influence, control and massive opportunity for growth by joining a rapidly growing product company only a few years into their journey, the clear leader in working with Time Series data, the fastest-growing database technology on the planet?
If so, we've been looking for you!
Telegraf is a community of over 2000 contributors who have helped build an open-source plugin-driven agent for collection and reporting of metrics from over 200 different input types, such as systems, networks, databases, and IOT sensors. It translates the inputs and forwards those metrics and events to over 30 output types including InfluxDB. InfluxData is the original author of the Telegraf agent and many of its plugins. InfluxData also manages and maintains the Telegraf open source project. Organizing a Go project with this level of diversity and size is uniquely challenging. There are a huge range of actively used plugins from docker and Github to mysql and memcached (and of course, InfluxDB), so it's a broad and fascinating ecosystem.
InfluxData is looking for a senior engineer to join our Telegraf team who is passionate about working in open source and DevOps community, embraces modern communication styles and mediums, and loves connecting to community members through events and online engagement programs.
What You'll Be Doing
- Partner with the Open Source community to continuously improve and expand Telegraf and the Telegraf community and ecosystem
- Develop Telegraf plugins for diverse subsystems
- Troubleshoot issues and address bugs, requests, and ideas
- Communicate in writing and develop publicly within the Telegraf/InfluxDB community
- Directly contribute while soliciting and organizing community contribution to articles, guides, application architecture references, and code
- Contribute to other Influxdata open-source projects
What You'll Bring To The Team
- Advanced developer with at least 5 years professional development experience in complex software projects
- Experienced Go developer with a focus on system level software, in networking, and/or backend code
- Broad knowledge of protocols, technology stacks, APIs - the more the merrier
- Experience working in open source communities
- Experience in testing and version control and all the other tools and techniques that allow you to ensure production-quality code used in a wide variety of system architectures across various on-prem, cloud, hybrid, and IoT environments.
- Working knowledge of Git (and GitHub)
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
Bonus If You Have
- Familiarity with Telegraf
- Rust development experience
- Committer/maintainer in an open source community, or leadership experience in an open source community
- Experience working with distributed development teams
- Exposure to agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
Many InfluxData employees are remote* so you have your choice of working remote or out of our San Francisco office. (*From a remote perspective, we currently support the UK, Germany, Italy and the following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OK, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA.)
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading open source time series database. We are a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story. Headquartered in San Francisco, InfluxData’s workforce is distributed throughout the U.S. and across Europe. The company was recently named one of the 50 Best Workplaces for Innovators by Fast Company.
Our technology is purpose-built to handle the massive volumes of time-stamped data produced by IoT devices, applications, networks, containers and computers. We are on a mission to help developers and organizations, such as Cisco, IBM, PayPal, and Tesla, store and analyze real-time data, empowering them to build transformative monitoring, analytics, and IoT applications quicker and to scale.
We offer fantastic benefits; in the US these include:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to FSA and commuter benefits
- Open PTO - take the time you need
- Life lnsurance, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ....and more!
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company and only by having a core set of beliefs and values will we be successful. We hire and live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit our careers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.