Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. Our talented yet humble team is dogma-free and data driven. We are relentless in our drive to reliably deliver outstanding products and services at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking leaders like yourself.
As the Head of Data you will build and own the data science and data engineering strategy at Policygenius. You will forge the technical vision for your team. You are a transformational leader who focuses on technical mentorship and coaching. You work with individual teams, helping them learn and adapt to a changing environment. You help developers, data scientists, analysts, and managers find opportunities. You plan strategic initiatives to move your organization and Policygenius forward. Above all, you are a change agent who pushes yourself and those around you for excellence.
In this role, you will…
- Build a sophisticated data team that can tackle the next stage of challenges facing Policygenius
- Coach data engineers, data scientists, product scientists, and managers to help them realize their potential
- Develop and execute on the technical vision for our data products — both internal and customer facing (e.g. our quoting engine, 3rd party ETL integrations, user segmentation models)
- Take our data infrastructure to the next level with more robust testing environments and DevSecOps best practices
- Partner with leaders throughout Policygenius to find operational and strategy driving insights
- Facilitate design workshops to guide the development of a scalable and high quality architecture
- Experiment with an open-minded team that is always exploring new technologies
- Ship exceptional products that people love! (we’re proud to be building a company that has customers who consistently refer their friends and family, with an industry-leading NPS of ~75!)
We’d love to hear from you if…
- You have 9+ years of experience as a software engineer and/or data engineer, designing data warehousing, ETL, and ML modeling architectures
- You have 4+ years managing data engineering and/or data science teams, with bonus points if you have built them from scratch
- You have experience coaching managers and a proven track record of mentoring and developing the careers of data engineers and/or data scientists
- You have successfully driven the development and implementation of a technical vision
- You have forged strong partnerships with product managers
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to comfortably articulate your thoughts and decisions
- You have the ability to thrive in a startup environment
- You have experience working in an agile environment
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship!!!
Technologies You Will Use
Python, Airflow, BigQuery, Tableau, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud Products including Dataflow, Pub/Sub, Datalab (Jupyter Notebook)AutoML, BQML, Cloud Functions, Cloud Build, Cloud SQL, Storage Bucket, Buildkite, Docker, Git
Policygenius currently spends much of its time using these tools, but we’re committed to working on the right tech for the job, and always open to fresh ideas, new technologies, and better ways of getting things done.
Policygenius is America's leading online insurance marketplace. Since 2014, our mission has been to help people get the financial protection they need (and feel good about it). We make it easy for our customers to understand their options, compare quotes, and buy insurance, all in one place. Our CEO and co-founder, Jennifer Fitzgerald, is one of only four women in the US fintech space to raise over $50 million in venture capital funding, and we’ve helped more than 30 million people shop for all types of insurance, placing over $35 billion in coverage to date.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Despite rapid growth (we’ve doubled in size year over year!), we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we're looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine's "Best Workplaces" two years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!