InfluxData is a fast-growing Series D startup developing InfluxDB, the time series database recognized industry-wide as the clear category leader. InfluxDB is running on hundreds of thousands of machines and used by teams worldwide to monitor and understand their systems. The majority of users are developers and builders utilizing our open source software, but we also offer enterprise and cloud SaaS products, all exposing a single unified API.
We’re looking for a Performance Engineer. In this role, you will be a part of our growing and talented engineering organization, reporting to the Director of Foundation. We want someone who loves performance and is interested in instrumentation, measuring, analyzing our cloud, enterprise, and open source tick stack.
Many InfluxData employees are *remote so you have your choice of being remote or working out of our San Francisco office. (*From a remote perspective, we currently support the UK, Germany, Italy and the following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, ID, IL, MA, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA.)
What you’ll be doing:
Providing technical expertise within large-scale developer data platforms, with a well-informed point of view on performance algorithms, tools, and testing techniques. Collecting, creating, and using data effectively to make informed decisions, and enabling others across the organization to do the same regarding performance. You will identify measurable key performance indicators and recommend industry KPIs which you and our Engineering teams will meet or exceed.
You will be asked to participate in company benchmarking efforts, design industry benchmarks, and work with other performance-minded individuals to improve current and future versions of Influx software. Enhance automated performance measurement frameworks to support developer improvement product wide. As a performance expert, you will also interact with the community by lending your expertise to help our customers.
The performance team will execute performance testing validating that the critical use cases conform to specified non-functional requirements. The team will execute load testing against a normally expected (median) load as well as a peak load. We will often run system profiles that will characterize and identify the system bottlenecks.
Performance work will include UI, language, storage backend, real-time streaming, and any other aspect of our products. You will be asked to work with the Foundation Director and the Engineering Leadership Team to determine which performance projects require attention.
What you'd bring to the team:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or equivalent real-world experience;
- You get stuff done and work independently;
- You are motivated by delivering great outcomes and capabilities - the rest is a means to that end;
- Strong bias for action, with the ability to handle ambiguity and take on tasks necessary to succeed. We are a startup!
Highly Desired experience:
- You live and breathe performance tools and algorithms;
- Data manipulation such as SQL query and other data languages;
- IoT, monitoring, logging, or other high volume, high scale data activities;
- Linux and open source development;
- Large-scale distributed systems;
- SaaS engineering and operations;
- Live service monitoring and operations.
InfluxData is the creator of the leading time series database, InfluxDB. The InfluxData platform is built on the open source projects – Telegraf, InfluxDB, Chronograf, and Kapacitor.
We’re a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story.
We offer fantastic benefits; in the US these include:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to FSA and commuter benefits
- Open PTO - take the time you need
- Life lnsurance, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ....and more!
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company and only by having a core set of beliefs and values will we be successful. We hire and live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit our careers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.