Button’s mission is to be the abstraction point for mobile commerce. Today we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world, connecting customers through higher-quality, better-performing user experiences. Data is at the very core of proving we’re on the right track and deciding where to go next, and that is where you fit in.
As a Staff Software Engineer working on our integrations team, you will be tasked with identifying the next big problems to solve and solving them! You will need to recognize patterns that allow us to take the complexity of the real world and abstract it for our partners. If you’re excited by multifaceted challenges involving large scale, highly performant, distributed systems, machine learning, and large volumes of data, then this is an incredible opportunity.
AS A STAFF SOFTWARE ENGINEER ON THE PLATFORM TEAM YOU ARE:
- Non-territorial: You check your ego when it comes to letting others contribute to your mandate.
- An Improviser: You say “yes, and…” when working with others, driving progress forward, rather than halting it.
- Survivalist: You do what needs to be done to accomplish the goals of a project, unblocking yourself and others.
- Fearless: You take the appropriate risks, backed by data. You are not afraid of failing, admitting you were wrong, and adjusting your approach. Not knowing the next step does not intimidate you.
- Amplifier: You make others around you more effective, faster, and happier.
AS A STAFF SOFTWARE ENGINEER ON THE PLATFORM TEAM YOU WILL:
- Contribute to and own the design of the interfaces between Button and our partners, including some of the largest companies in mobile commerce.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and designers to develop major new products that bring real-time decisioning backed by machine learning and high performance distributed systems to a static industry.
- Identify and solve the next big challenges facing Button and its clients with cutting edge technology that you research, build, and deploy.
- Build real-time ingestion and delivery systems, leveraging machine learning, with a focus on accuracy, precision, and speed.
- Plan ahead of the next phase of growth at Button. We strive to have a mystery-free production environment, and a quiet pager; you will be a force for keeping it that way even in the face of major increases in scale, onboarding of large volume clients, and releases of major new products.
- Solve any technical problem that stands in your (or Button’s) way, collaborating with your team and cross-functionally.
- Lead the team and contribute to the culture of quality and healthy collaboration by example.
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- Experience designing and building performant, low-latency, distributed architectures that stand the test of time.
- A track record of building scalable systems and applications, resilient to growth in a variety of dimensions.
- Attention to detail and an ability to anticipate challenges before they occur.
- Experience designing robust developer APIs, and a strong bias towards simplicity, cleanliness, and testability.
- A predisposition toward mentoring, enabling, otherwise leveling-up other engineers through your leadership, example, and knowledge.
- Experience writing high quality, well-tested code. You’ll be coding and shipping new services on a regular basis. Experience in Go, NodeJS or Python - our major programming languages - is a plus.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Mike Wakerly, CTO: Mikey is Button’s Hawaiian shirt enthusiast and Chief Technology Officer. A former Googler and a San Francisco transplant, he loves mountain biking, tinkering on electronics, and any excuse to take a road trip.
- James (or Jimmy) McGill, VP of Engineering: Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
- Mike Wright, Director of Platform: Build highly distributed and availability systems and teams in Ad Tech. In his free time, he commutes, plays video games, and tries to keep up with his kids.
- Liwei Mao, Software Engineer: With a team of talented engineers, she designs and builds the platform that powers Button's monetization tech. She loves traveling for food, weekend kickball, and hot yoga classes.
MORE ABOUT US:
- Button was founded in 2014. We’ve raised $65M in funding. Most recently we announced our $30M Series C in June 2019, led by Icon Ventures. Our investors include Norwest, Redpoint, Greycroft, DCM, and Capital One Ventures. We’re approximately 40 engineers and 120 people overall.
- We believe and invest in personal growth, and we’ve got the results to back it up. We’ve been recognized multiple times by Fortune, Inc., and Crain’s magazines as one of the best places to work in the US.
- We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. Some of our teammates hail from big tech companies like Google; from financial giants like Bloomberg and MasterCard; and from previous startups like Chartbeat, Compass, and Blue Apron. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.