In five years since we started, we’ve bought and sold over 20,000 homes with an annual purchase run rate exceeding $3.8 billion. Today, we buy billions of dollars worth of houses a year with multiple turns of our housing inventory per quarter. The foundation of our business is our ability to accurately price and forecast sale timelines for every home on the market. As a member of our Core ML team, the models and systems you create will be directly responsible for billions of dollars of real estate transaction volume.
Core ML: The foundation of Opendoor
Core ML develops the core models and ML infrastructure that we use to make key decisions at Opendoor. We’re responsible for researching models and understanding every driver of our business that impacts our cost structure and scalability as well as productionizing our findings, so our business continues to function at scale.
A few responsibilities of the team include:
- Valuing homes
- Create and maintain OVM (Opendoor Valuation Model), an ensemble of models that generate home price predictions on over 5 million homes a week and is directly responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars worth of transactions a month—often without any human oversight.
- Extract features from raw data such as text and images using NLP & CV.
- Create and maintain production systems that provide oversight on the uptime and stability of our models.
- Projecting and forecasting resales.
- Forecast sale timelines and sale price for Opendoor homes.
- Model key features that inform the overall risk to the business in any given cohort of homes.
- Build a platform for data science/ML at scale.
- Build GPU infrastructure that allows Opendoor to embrace deep learning.
- Create and maintain Spark and lambda architecture to create data pipelines that generate features.
As a Pricing Engineer you will:
- Work with product and data science to contribute to all phases of algorithm development including ideation, prototyping, design, and production.
- Apply machine learning techniques to create solutions to business problems.
- Analyze large amounts of data to help automate and optimize manual processes.
- Design and develop scalable platforms/processes for model training, feature extraction, continuous learning, simulation, and A/B testing.
- Build deep domain expertise in pricing and transacting to real estate.
- Play an active role in hiring and mentoring of other engineers.
- Research and optimize the strategies that impact our profit margins on a per home basis, such as resale list price, negotiation strategy, and offer acceptance criteria.
We’re looking for teammates who bring:
- Passion for building reliable machine learning products and infrastructure.
- Experience in technologies related to our work, e.g., Python, Spark, Pandas, and SQL.
- Familiarity with basic classes of ML algorithms, concepts in feature extraction and selection.
- Ability and desire to communicate with clarity and precision.
- Resourcefulness and pragmatism.
- Industry experience in machine learning.
- Experience in using GPUs.
- Familiarity deep learning frameworks such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, or Keras.
Research and optimize the strategies that impact our profit margins on a per home basis:
- How much should Opendoor list a home at a given time in the future?
- How can Opendoor optimize its negotiation strategy?
- Should Opendoor take a particular offer?
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational budget to invest in your career development and growth
- Fitness/Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.