Turnitin is revolutionizing the experience of writing to learn. Turnitin’s formative feedback and originality checking services promote critical thinking, ensure academic integrity and help students improve their writing. Turnitin provides instructors with the tools to engage students in the writing process, provide personalized feedback, and assess student progress over time. Turnitin'sapplications are used by more than 30 million students at 15,000 institutions in 140 countries. Turnitin is headquartered in Oakland, Calif., with international offices in Newcastle, U.K., Utrecht, Netherlands, Seoul, South Korea and Melbourne, Australia.
The Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for maintaining the General Ledger, account reconciliations of balance sheet accounts, and supporting other functions within the accounting department, as necessary. The role will have exposure to most areas of the Company’s expenses in the month-end close process.
This position requires the ability to work, adapt and evolve in a fast-paced environment, often working under tight deadlines, changing requirements, and teams in multiple time zones. Dedication, quick thinking, good decision making, and a high sense of urgency are critical traits for this role.
· Daily application of customer payments to receivable balances for US bank accounts (payments including wires, checks, credit card). Includes reviewing bank activity on line, investigating issues, follow-up with the AR team and applying the payments on a daily basis in NetSuite.
· Monthly reconciliation of unapplied customer payment accounts
· Ensure all cash clearing accounts are zeroed out for the monthly close
· Daily recording of cash activity in Mexico, Australia and Korea bank accounts. Includes reviewing bank activity on line, investigating any issues and preparing a journal entry to reflect the cash activity on a daily basis in NetSuite.
· Reconcile cash accounts in Australia and Korea against monthly bank statement balances during the month end close. Ensure all cash activity is properly reflected in the G/L – cash accounts Australian Dollars, and Korean Won.
· Perform daily employee expense report review and process employee expense reimbursements in Concur. Ensure employee expenses are in compliance with company policy.
· Prepare employee expense reimbursement files for Payroll for US, Mexico, Netherlands, Australia.
· Review and record corporate credit card disbursements.
· Monthly business travel airline accrual and analysis
· Record monthly intangible amortization entries and reconcile accounts
· Record monthly debt interest and related entries. Coordinate quarterly debt payments. Reconcile debt accounts.
· Monthly management reporting as requested
· Maintain proper internal controls and ensure only authorized transactions are processed. Ensure appropriate segregation of duties. Work with Director of Accounting to ensure establishment of internal control policies.
· Provide support to management and other internal customers as needs arise, including ad-hoc financial analysis, and miscellaneous projects.
· Streamline processes and improve existing procedures. Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes.
· 3 - 5 years hands on and increasing levels of Accounting & Finance experience in a fast-paced, start-up environment
· Interest in obtaining CPA
· Advanced Excel skills and hands-on exposure to accounting systems (NetSuite preferred)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with a variety of functional areas
· Understanding of US GAAP and SEC reporting
· Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize and manage a demanding workload involving multiple tasks, responsibilities and tight deadlines with follow-through and minimal supervision
· Must be able to move among various tasks, address responsibilities in a 'hands on' detail-oriented manner with an ability to work efficiently and accurately
· Dedication to needs of the total organization
· Self-starter and proactive thinker