LendingClub opened in 2007 with one simple mission: create a more efficient, transparent and customer-friendly alternative to the traditional banking system that offers creditworthy borrowers lower interest rates and investors better returns. Since then we’ve built a trusted brand with a track record of delivering exceptional value and satisfaction to both borrowers and investors. Today, we're the world’s largest online credit marketplace, and we’re radically changing the way lending operates. We’re proud of the recognition we’ve received, including being named one of Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies three years in a row, a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, and one of The World’s 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by Fast Company. We’re conveniently located in downtown San Francisco, California.
LendingClub’s Legal Department is seeking attorneys for the position of Commercial Counsel. This attorney will assist in supporting the enterprise vendor management team as well as other general commercial, employment and corporate matters. You have outstanding professional judgment and excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiation and drafting skills. You have an ability to anticipate and deliver on the needs of a dynamic and creative business, be comfortable working with cross-functional teams and have the flexibility to manage a wide range of projects.
- You will provide primary legal support to the enterprise third party vendor management team, including (i) developing templates and forms and (ii) negotiating, drafting and reviewing a broad range of commercial agreements including master services, non-disclosure, referral, licensing, professional services and various other commercial agreements
- You will evaluate employment practices for legal risk and establish and execute on employment-related process improvements
- You will act as a trusted advisor to various business units, including marketing, risk, corporate technology, investor, credit, payment solutions, human resources and others
- You will support the Legal Department in solving complex legal issues and advising on other general corporate matters as may be necessary
- You will develop strong, collaborative relationships with the business
- You will escalate issues, as appropriate, to the Senior Corporate Counsel and/or Senior Vice President of Legal collaboratively to identify issues and share potential concerns and ideas with Legal Department members
- J.D. degree and a state bar member in good standing
- You have at least 3 years of combined law firm, government and/or in-house corporate transactional or employment law experience
- You have the ability to quickly understand the business’ needs, work effectively with business teams, other members of our department and other internal groups to craft solutions and efficiently deliver results
- You can develop positive relationships with internal partners (including high level company executives) and external customers
- You have a strong understanding of commercial legal concepts and strong drafting and contract negotiation skills, with a keen attention to detail
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating various types of commercial agreements
- Experience drafting and reviewing employment-related playbooks, policies, agreements and templates
- General transactional experience in an in-house or law firm setting
- Excellent negotiation skills, including the soft skills necessary to encourage, motivate and influence
- Ability to independently solicit information and input from different partners as necessary and appropriate
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment and successfully handle pressing deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent business and legal judgment
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.