LendingClub (NYSE: LC) opened in 2007 with one simple mission: create a more efficient, transparent and customer-friendly alternative to the traditional banking system that offers creditworthy borrowers lower interest rates and investors better returns. Today, we’re the world’s largest online credit marketplace, and we’re radically changing the way lending operates. We’re proud of the recognition we’ve received, including being named a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, a CNBC Disruptor 50, and one of The World’s 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by Fast Company. We’re conveniently located in downtown San Francisco, California.
We are searching for a financial regulatory and privacy lawyer to join our legal team in San Francisco. You will manage regulatory change with enthusiasm and confidently develop a strategy for staying aware of new regulations and working with our compliance team to ensure proper implementation. As our attorney managing privacy you will also have a broad range of responsibilities providing legal guidance on products and initiatives impacting privacy, data protection and security. You role will include partnering cross-functionally with our InfoSec, procurement, engineering, product and others to advise on data uses while handling legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance. You will draft and update internal policies and procedures, interpret laws, rules, and regulations, and advise company management of legal rights, obligations, and privileges related to new products. We will also need you to provide privacy and data security subject matter expertise to our product and commercial attorneys as they negotiate complex commercial deals that contribute to our success.
- You will act as a consultative resource to assigned leadership on issues concerning compliance and privacy matters, and provides recommendations to improve policies, procedures, training, and internal controls as needed.
- You will monitor relevant regulatory and legal developments in the financial & technology industries and take primary responsibility within the legal department in establishing and handling our long-term financial licensing strategy and related policies.
- You will maintain and manage regulatory tracking and provide substantive updates to internal and external personnel on pending or potential regulatory change.
- You will assist management and operations in analyzing and navigating the financial regulatory landscape relevant to new products the company currently offers, as well as products the company may offer in the United States and internationally. Providing guidance and solutions to protect and mitigate risk to the organization will also be part of your key responsibilities.
- You will provide detailed analysis of privacy issues and related to new product offerings, assist in managing privacy-related risks, and manage tracking and reporting of potential breaches to state and federal agencies.
- You will advise and counsel operations on a myriad of regulatory issues, including fraud, abuse, and self-referral. Additionally, you will oversee hotline, tracking, responding and following up to inquiries and allegations.
- You will partner with Compliance and Human Resources to develop and revise compliance training involving financial regulatory and privacy matters.
- You will work with Operations, IT and Compliance to execute regulatory management and privacy monitoring and auditing program. You will also establish corrective action plans and monitor implementation of those plans.
- JD with excellent academic credentials.
- A member in good standing of a Bar in one of the fifty states or the District of Columbia.
- Ability to immediately assume significant responsibility including the ability to prioritize work independently while coordinating activities, initiatives, and impactful operational solutions.
- 5+ years of experience at a law firm or comparable corporate environment.
- Well organized, self-motivated and hardworking, with the ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment and run numerous projects at a time under deadline pressure.
- Knowledge and experience advising on federal and state laws and regulations related to financial services, healthcare, and privacy are required.
- Experience with regulatory and financial services industry disputes.
- Experience tracking changes to federal and state laws and regulations related to debt collection.
- You admit when you don’t know the answer and you work hard to get it; you love to learn.
- You are adept at developing creative solutions to complicated legal problems.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communications skills, including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of management and operations.
- A high-level of intellectual, professional and interpersonal agility and flexibility, combined with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, strong sense of humor, high tolerance for ambiguity, and unquestioned ethics and integrity.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively as a trusted voice of reason with business clients and other legal department members, displaying good judgment that balances legal requirements with practical business needs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.