Turnitin is revolutionizing the experience of writing to learn. Turnitin’s formative feedback and originality checking services promote critical thinking, ensure academic integrity and help students improve their writing. Turnitin provides instructors with the tools to engage students in the writing process, provide personalized feedback, and assess student progress over time. Turnitin'sapplications are used by more than 30 million students at 15,000 institutions in 140 countries. Turnitin is headquartered in Oakland, Calif., with international offices in Newcastle, U.K., Utrecht, Netherlands, Seoul, South Korea and Melbourne, Australia.
Join our R&D group and help better the lives of students and teachers across the world! Our growing research team
(with backgrounds in statistics, machine learning, NLP, and learning science) explores, invents, and engineers
cutting-edge solutions to natural-language problems in educational technology. As a member of this team, you’ll be
developing and applying cutting-edge research in structured prediction on complex data sets, unsupervised and
semi-supervised learning, stylistic analysis, and deep learning for natural-language problems, with a particular eye
toward practical applications for either authorship analysis and identification or automated essay evaluation and
formative feedback. The research you do will directly impact Turnitin’s 33 million active students and teachers.
What you’ll get from us:
● A smart, fun, and casual environment where you can learn from and teach others.
● Flexibility in technology. Python, R, spark - how you do the research is up to you.
● A massive amount of data. Turnitin processes millions of essays each year and currently houses almost a
billion submissions that we can use for research.
● An enthusiastic team with a diverse range of machine learning and NLP experience.
● Software engineers who are able to translate notebooks and prototypes into production ready code, so that
you can see the results of your work quickly incorporated into our products.
● A great mission -- you’ll get to build systems that ensure education is fair for students around the world.
● Freedom to work on a small team focused on making great products, and also to contribute
cross-functionally through the entire development lifecycle to make it happen.
What we expect from you:
● Enthusiasm for solving challenging problems.
● Experience collaborating with domain experts to frame the relevant research questions for the problems that
need to be solved.
● Ability to identify and design solutions for data-driven problems, evaluate and interpret results, and
determine next steps.
● Ability to develop and prototype solutions efficiently and accurately.
● Experience working with large and small datasets.
● Ability to visualize and explain insights gathered during data exploration.
● Experience working with text data to build predictive models.
● A strong understanding of the math and statistics behind machine learning theory.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate in an agile process with a cross-functional team on both small and large
● Familiarity with distributed source control platforms (we use git and GitHub).
● PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or related field
○ or a Master's degree with significant relevant industry experience
● Flexible and self-directed, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Above and beyond:
● Experience or interest in education, authorship analysis, fraud detection, discourse analysis or learning
● Strong software engineering fundamentals.