We are surrounded by unstructured data on companies and the economy. As an experienced data scientist, you are familiar with a variety of machine learning and natural language processing techniques and have applied them to real world problems. You will develop these algorithms at Motif Capital, apply them to interesting unstructured datasets, and derive quantitative insights. You are comfortable expressing your research process in well-structured code, and taking an idea from inception to implementation.
You will be an integral part of Motif Capital’s core investing team, helping to build out its data-driven investment process through infrastructure, technology, and unique datasets. This is a very demanding role within a fast-paced team environment that will require an entrepreneurial attitude and the ability to manage multiple priorities and get assignments done. The insights drawn from your research will feed into our machine learning pipelines, to continuously update and adapt our portfolios to changing micro- and macro-economic conditions.
Motif Capital is modernizing fundamental investment research. We combine traditional and non-traditional data sources, containing structured and unstructured data, deriving quantitative insights to power our clients' long-term investments. We are a small team, dedicated to scaling through automation in order to keep our clients' money invested in their portfolios, not their advisor.
- Bachelors of Science in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, Physics, or related quantitative field with strong record of academic achievement
- 3+ years of experience using machine learning and specifically natural language processing to mine unstructured data, extracting information from documents such as electronic filings, contracts, news, patents etc.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Professional experience with one or more of Java, Hibernate, Python, Scala, C/C++.
- Experience with Numerical / Scientific Python (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas)
- Knowledge of machine learning pipelines using Scala / Spark or Python / scikit-learn
- Possess intellectual curiosity and a strong passion for investing and financial markets
- Masters degree or higher in Computer Science or related quantitative field with specialization in natural language processing and/or machine learning
- Experience with distributed computing architectures
- Experience with tools for statistical computing (e.g. R, NumPy, SciPy).
- Experience with big data technologies like Apache Spark, Hadoop, Cassandra, etc.
About Motif Capital:
Motif Capital Management is a next-generation global equity investment manager that specializes in the management of thematic investment strategies for financial institutions such as private wealth management, investment companies, endowments, and family offices. Our unique disciplined, scientific, and transparent approach to thematic investing relies on combining data-driven insights with objective fundamental research, algorithmic portfolio design and cutting-edge technology & analytics. Our goal is to work with our institutional partners to act on the economic, socio-political, and technological forces that are shaping the global economy for the benefit of their clients’ portfolios. Learn more at www.motifcapital.com.
Motif Capital Management, Inc. is an SEC registered investment advisory firm located in San Mateo, California. The company is privately held and a wholly owned subsidiary of Motif Investing Inc.