Motif is building innovative investment products and making them universally accessible. We’re a technology-driven investing company, who’s award-winning platform allows investors to trade intelligently weighted baskets of stocks built around a theme or investing style. Only at Motif can investors buy fractional shares (i.e., $100 of AMZN stock) in real-time, participate in hundreds of IPOs, and very soon add cryptoassets to their portfolio.
We’re a fun, hard-working team passionate about shipping high-quality products. Headquartered in sunny San Mateo, California, we’re backed by top-tier investors such as Goldman Sachs, J.P.Morgan, Foundation Capital and have been recognized as a pioneer in the investing space by Forbes, Fast Company, TechCrunch, CNBC, Finnovate, NerdWallet, and others.
- love working in an environment where you constantly experiment and iterate quickly.
- care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
- smile when you see an article about the merits of serverless compute because you already built an app with it last year
- like to Play with non-blocking asynchronous web service frameworks
- wonder as to the right application of merkle trees
- believe data is the most powerful tool for informed decision-making
Identify with the above?
Some principles guiding our engineers: “Always be shipping”, “Value delivery”, “Strive for perfect”, and “Don't be afraid to fail”. Ultimately, we are excited about our impact on the world and are looking for engineers who are curious, generous and can hustle in a fast-paced environment.
You get a lot of creative freedom to solve your tasks and you are responsible for the whole lifecycle of every feature from initial requirements to release, ops and follow-up.
- Work with the team to design and build the next generation trading platform capable of trading across asset types like securities and crypto.
- Keep abreast of emerging behaviors, technologies, and companies across the electronic trading and smart portfolio management landscapes
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems.
- Write & test code that truly works—code that is elegant & scales well
- Focus on fast, iterative & agile development and also shepherd agile practices and processes
- Ensure performance, scalability, availability & security in everything you do
- Contribute to platform-level technology, strategy & decisions
- Engage in the business goals as well as the technology
- BS, or equivalent work experience, in Computer Science, Math, or related technical field (experience writing good software is a suitable replacement for a technical degree)
- Deep proficiency in a programming language such as Java and/or Scala (we primarily use Java)
- Comfortable working in a small, dynamic, and fast-paced team
- Strong capabilities of observation, analysis, synthesis
- Experience with Data Analytics, Front-End Design, Distributed System Design would each/all be pluses
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Preference for generalists over specialists - ability to wear many hats
- Past co-workers attest to your prowess & agility in building great products
Technologies we use:
- Infrastructure: AWS (and non-cloud hosted compute)
- Datastores: MySQL, DynamoDB, Redshift, S3
- Data Processing: Lambda, Kinesis, RabbitMQ, Spark
- Microservices: Spring, Play, Docker, Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, Zookeeper
- Search: Elasticsearch
- Workflow scheduling: Airflow